Scuba Diver Magazines

Irish CCR diver Dave Hearne died after ‘oxygen spike’

Advertisement

Related stories

Divers mark Royal Adelaide anniversary

Members of the Solent dive club Swanwick Divers marked...

BDMLR rescue stranded dolphin

Members of the British Divers Marine Life Rescue (BDMLR)...

New Dive Centre for the Southern Great Barrier Reef at 1770

Dive. Spear. Sport are opening a new Dive Facility...

Cook Islands Announce Non Stop Flights From Sydney

Cook Islands announces non-stop flights from Sydney to Rarotonga...

Noraya set to be Dune’s latest liveaboard

Dune is adding yet another luxury liveaboard to its...

An inquest into the death of Irish CCR diver Dave Hearne has concluded that he died after he had an ‘oxygen spike' on his closed-circuit rebreather.

Mr Hearne, who was 47 and lived in Waterford City with his wife and four children, was an experienced technical diver, as well as a former member of the Garda Water Unit, and had been responsible for saving the lives of many people during his tenure with the team.

He had been diving on a shipwreck some 20km out of Slade Harbour on 25 May last year with the Hook Sub Aqua Club when the fateful incident took place.

In details recorded during the inquest, it was was revealed that Mr Hearne was found lying on his back, with his breathing loop out of his mouth, by fellow diver Colin Brennan.

He explained that he tried to replace the mouthpiece of the loop, but that Mr Hearne's jaw was clenched shut.

Realizing there was nothing else that could be done for the stricken diver, they inflated his wing and sent him to the surface, where his body was recovered by the Coast Guard R117 helicopter.

Dave Hearne

Consultant pathologist Dr Fergus McSweeney performed a post-mortem at University Hospital Waterford and, like the coroner Gerard O'Herlihy, said that death was by drowning.

UK-based technical instructor Dave Gration examined Mr Hearne's CCR, and found that a number of alarms had gone off to signal a spike in oxygen levels. Mr O'Herlihy said: “Something went wrong down below and it appears to have been a spike in oxygen, for whatever reason. It seems that the late Mr Hearne was not able to deal with that spike, it had caused him to go into a convulsion, the mouthpiece went out of his mouth.”

Inspector Larry Sheahan said Mr Hearne was ‘the consummate public servant' who is greatly missed by his family, friends and colleagues.

Mark Evans
Mark Evans
Scuba Diver's Editor-in-Chief Mark Evans has been in the diving industry for nearly 25 years, and has been diving since he was just 12 years old. 30-odd years later and he is still addicted to the underwater world.
Subscribe
Notify of
guest

0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Listen to our Podcast

LET’S KEEP IN TOUCH!

Get a weekly roundup of all Scuba Diver news and articles

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

Latest stories
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x